THE CIVIC TRUST
Civic Trustees are making a difference in cities across New Jersey.
Civic Trustees are a new force for strengthening our cities’ ability to tackle tough issues. They are committed to identifying evidence-based solutions to their city’s problems, and working together to implement them with a no-blame approach. They make a pledge to serve their city, with their fellow Trustees, by working together to make their city stronger than it is today.
Supported by The Citizens Campaign’s platform of civic power tools and training, and its Law and Policy Task Force of government attorneys and policy experts in urban government, Civic Trustees are:
- Engaging in bottom-up conversations about issues they care about
- Conducting evidence-based research on these issues to identify what is working in other cities
- Shaping the solution to make it more feasible to get results. This is called “doing the doable.”
- Working with The Citizens Campaign’s Law and Policy Task Force to turn the solution into a “ready to adopt” legal form such as an ordinance, executive order, or resolution
- Approaching challenges with a “no blame” perspective in order to keep the focus on the solutions
- Partnering with local government to get results that are: (1) evidence-based, 2) cost effective, and 3) advanced in a no-blame fashion
- Achieving success via adoption of their solutions by city council, school boards, planning boards and other government agencies