Citizen Power Tool Box |Civic Trusts
Operating successfully in Newark, Perth Amboy and Trenton Civic Trusts provide an alternative to today’s dysfunctional politics, providing a forum for citizens who want to work together to improve their city free of negativity and political wrangling.
This robust 21st-century model of civic empowerment brings together Civic Trustees who pledge to “leave their city better than they found it.”
Civic Trustees research and develop solutions that are:
(1) Evidence-based (2) cost-effective, (3) and advanced with a “no blame” approach. Trustees volunteer to make a commitment of at least one year. Their responsibilities also include governing their Civic Trust, prioritizing issues and recruiting new trustees so the Trust continues to thrive well into the future.
Click on the materials below to get involved or find out more.
- Civic Trustee Application Form
Apply here to become a Civic Trustee and be at the forefront of citizen-powered change
- Civic Trusteeship Overview
Learn how Civic Trustees work together to use the levers of power and develop pragmatic solutions
- No-Blame Problem-Solving Video and Guide
Learn the complete steps to getting things done in your community from the bottoms-up following our no-blame approach.
- Existing Policy Research (Under the Open Public Record Act / OPRA) Tutorial
Find out how to access local and state government documents like budgets and ordinances.
- Menu of Solutions
Choose from our Menu of evidence-based solutions you can use to remedy problems in your community
- Citizen Legislator Class
Learn how to find proven, best practice solutions and present them in ready to adopt form to your town council or school board.
- The Citizens’ Manual
A resource book on citizens’ legal rights and best practices for solving local problems
- Initiative and Referendum Tutorial
This tutorial is designed to demystify the initiative and referendum process and provide instructions so that you can use this as a tool in your own hometown.
FOLLOW THE CITIZENS CAMPAIGN
Tel: (732) 548-9798 Fax: (732) 548-9298
© 2016 The Citizens Campaign
The Citizens Campaign, 450 Main Street Metuchen, NJ 08840