Media Literacy in the Search for Solutions
V. Media Literacy in the Search for Solutions
See: Citizen Power, Chapter 7
This video contains tips for finding facts you can trust – for example:
- Look for sites with history of publishing credible information which is cited by news outlets & academic institutions
- Check out the author’s profile and qualifications – are they a qualified expert on the subject of the article?
- Be skeptical of sensational headlines
- Check yourself for confirmation bias: are you only reading articles by authors that share your opinion?
Download our guide to Media Literacy
Want to share an evidence-based solution with your community? Here are some steps you can take:
- Share the solution on social media as a Solutions Advocate – you can look for a Facebook page or group for your town, and tag local officials or journalists
- Write a letter to the editor or op ed in a local newspaper about the solution as a Solutions Advocate
- Write about the solution as a Citizen Journalist – check out our YouTube playlist to learn more!